Laurel Heights Dentist Shares Easy-to-follow Tips!
Your health history and habits all play into your risk for developing cavities. Practicing good hygiene and getting regular checkups can help you prevent cavities and avoid dental filling procedures. Here are some tips to consider for cavity prevention:
- Use products containing fluoride. Fluoride helps strengthen teeth over time to prevent decay. The fluoride added to municipal water sources does not provide enough protection. Use toothpastes and rinses that also contain fluoride to reduce the likelihood of developing a cavity.
- Keep your oral environment moist. Dry mouth increases the likelihood of cavities. Use gum and artificial moisturizers developed particularly for the mouth to decrease the symptoms of dry mouth and improve saliva function to maintain health.
- Reduce or omit sugar. Sugar and sugary foods cause decay. Swap out refined sugars and starches for fruits and vegetables. Be sure to consume enough protein and healthy dietary fat, such as animal fat from natural sources, coconut oil, butter and olive oil.
- Floss. Don’t forget to floss. Brushing does not take away the plaque and build-up in between teeth the same way that flossing does.
- Find a general dentist you trust. Together, you and your dentist can develop an action plan for fighting cavities.
Digital x-rays and routine checkups can help you stay on top of your dental health and avoid any potential problems. Visit a dentist for a checkup every 6 months to identify decay and reduce the need for fillings.
Contact the Best Dentist in San Francisco for All of Your Dental Needs
Searching for a compassionate, trusted San Francisco dentist to help with your dental care? Call the team at Pastel Dental today at (415) 831-1999 or book your appointment online using our convenient scheduling tool. At Pastel Dental, we care about your smile!