Tips for Pregnancy Gingivitis Prevention
For many women, pregnancy represents one of the most exciting and stressful times of their lives. With a little one to nurture and grow inside of you, taking care of yourself is more important than ever.
One aspect of self-care to which expectant mothers should pay particular attention is oral health and hygiene. Due to hormonal changes, pregnant women become more susceptible to gum disease. This condition is not only undesirable for the mother, but also for the baby.
Expectant mothers should take specific precautions throughout their pregnancy when it comes to caring for their teeth and visiting the dentist. When receiving dental care during pregnancy, remember to:
- Tell the dentist and dental hygienist about your pregnancy before beginning dental work.
- Avoid all dental procedures except emergency treatment during the first and third trimesters.
- Skip dental x-rays throughout the pregnancy.
- For effective pregnancy gingivitis protection, maintain a regular checkup and teeth cleaning schedule throughout your pregnancy. Likewise, minimize the consumption of sugar and low nutrient refined carbohydrate foods. Eat real food to nourish yourself and your baby.
- Continue to brush and floss regularly.
- If morning sickness is an issue, switch to a bland-tasting toothpaste and always brush and rinse your mouth (with water) after vomiting.
Once you have given birth, visit your general dentist for a full examination and treatment of any issues arising during your pregnancy.
Book Your Visit with the Best Reviewed Dentist in San Francisco
At Pastel Dental, we wish you a healthy pregnancy and invite you to use our online scheduling tool to book your next dental visit! You will be able to choose your insurance and the reason for your visit and select from available appointment times. Give us a call today at (415) 831-1999 and remember to mention your pregnancy to our staff.